Home Ownership Program
Creating opportunities for home ownership is the core of Habitat NRV’s work.
Habitat NRV volunteers work side by side with future Habitat homeowners, who invest hundreds of hours of their own labor in sweat equity into building their homes and those of their neighbors.
Habitat NRV sells homes at cost with a no- or low-interest loan. Because there are minimal labor costs, no profits for the builders and no interest, many partner families pay less per month for their Habitat home than they paid in rent for a substandard dwelling.
Increasing home ownership brings many benefits, not only to the new homeowners, but also to the neighborhood and the community at large. These benefits include better educational outcomes, increased property values, and neighborhood and community stability.
To receive Home Buyer Program registration form, please call 540.381.1144 or email info@HabitatNRV.org
Below is a downloadable version of the Home Buyer Program form:
2018 Home Buyer Program Form
How to Qualify for our Program
The qualifying Habitat Partner Family:
- Earns 30%-60% of Area Median Income. These numbers vary depending on family size.
- Demonstrates need for safe and affordable housing. Criteria for this include:
- Homeless or living in transitional housing
- Physical problems with the dwelling
- Living in publicly or privately subsidized housing
- Living in overcrowded conditions
- Living in high crime neighborhoods
- Paying 30% or more of gross income to rent
- Receiving a Housing Choice Voucher
- Willingness to partner. Volunteer hours that include work on your home and the homes of others. If you have a disability or cannot work at the job site, we will gladly find other volunteer opportunities for you.
Habitat Partner Families must complete a minimum number of sweat equity hours. Partners earn their hours by helping to build their own home and/or the homes of other families. They also can earn sweat equity by working in The Habitat ReStore, in the Habitat office, or by representing Habitat at public functions.